Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sketchbook Pages Ahoy!

I don't often share my sketchbooks with people, since my sketchbooks are also littered with personal diary entries and the art and chicken scratch is un-readable anyway. I tend to have a heavy hand and re-trace the same line a thousand and one times. BUT I recently invested in a bunch of different non-photo blue pencils and now my sketchbook pages are looking half-way decent! But you guys can be the judge of that.



I drew my pal Hannah during a class we both shared (and hated.) She's a super cool gal with a really fun to draw face and a lot of swag.

And I finally FINALLY saw "Road to El Dorado" after what...12 years? I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did. It's not perfect by any means but, I love how pushed the facial expressions and body language were! And the comedic timing was down right Chuck Jonesy at times! I've always preferred humor in my animation over pleasant cuteness.



My only complaint is that it's upsetting to learn that Miguel and Tulio were originally written as a gay couple, who kissed and cuddled and had pet names for each other. And their relationship is supposed to provide context for a lot of the plot and drama that made it in the final cut. But of course, human sacrifice and strong implications of heterosexual sex are okay in a kids film, but two men calling each other "darling" is too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment